If you are thinking of buying a new laptop, perhaps the option offered by Google may interest you. It is a Chromebook, a much cheaper alternative to traditional laptops.
One of the main features of these computers is their Chrome OS operating system, that is, they do not run Windows or macOS, however, they offer interesting functions, which is why it is important that you thoroughly understand the advantages and disadvantages of these laptops .
What is a Chromebook?
Chromebooks are laptops that have shown accelerated growth in sales in recent years since their launch in 2011, their operation is focused on the cloud, working under an operating system known as Chrome OS, which currently ranks second among the most widely used computer programs in the world, surpassing macOS.
Chrome OS is based on the Chrome browser that allows you to run applications on the web, such as Gmail, Google Docs, and other programs from third-party providers.
They are equipment designed for those people who use their computers basically to surf the Internet, with basic configurations and cloud storage, which allows lower costs.
What is a Chromebook for?
If you spend all day working in the cloud, perhaps your best option is a Chromebook, it allows you to work with most Android applications.
These laptops have been well accepted in the educational market, since they are computers with excellent performance at an unbeatable cost, in addition there are no programs to install in the traditional sense, since they use programs from the web for many of their functions, for which also do not have large storage units.
For a Chromebook to meet your work needs, you need to frequently work remotely, using tools available on the web, for example, you won’t be able to install Microsoft Office on your computer, but you still have full access through its apps web or through Google office automation.
Advantages and disadvantages of a Chromebook
For many people, a Chromebook is the ideal laptop, adapting to everything you need. However, this does not mean that it is the perfect computer for you, and you need to know its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of a Chromebook
Let’s start by looking at some of its advantages.
- Price: These computers cost much less than the average laptop. Its price range is around 300 and 400 euros, even with cheaper options.
- Boot speed: when turned on they can be ready to use in 8 seconds.
- It is not necessary to constantly update the system thanks to its connectivity with the cloud. In addition, the costs of the applications are lower compared to other programs.
- Cloud storage: With the purchase of a Chromebook you get 100 GB of storage for free in Google Drive .
- Long-lasting battery: Due to their focus on work, they offer greater battery performance with a range of duration from 6 to 13 hours.
- They are easy to use: compared to other operating systems, they offer an easier configuration system.
- Less weight and thickness: These laptops weigh less and are thinner than traditional PCs.
Disadvantages of a Chromebook
Its advantages may surprise you, however, it is necessary to know its disadvantages before opting for this option.
- Low storage capacity: most of these computers have 32 and 64 GB SSD storage units.
- It doesn’t support Microsoft: at least its desktop versions.
- Limited software compatibility: Chrome OS is also not compatible with Adobe programs such as Photoshop. Essentially, apps that are hardware dependent may not work on a Chromebook.
- They are not designed for gaming: These computers do not have the power to support demanding games.
- Limited media support: Chromebooks support many file and video formats, however, if you need to work on a specialized format, these laptops may not meet the requirements.
- A good Internet connection: To get the most out of these computers, it is obvious that you need to be connected to the Internet.
Although these laptops have evolved rapidly, there are many elements that you should consider before opting for one of these teams, its excellent qualities cannot be underestimated, but now that you know what a Chromebook is, you should ask yourself if it is the right option for you.